Winter Box started 9-Nov-17, but you can join anytime. Review the details below and send us an email to sign up!
A Note on the photos: most of these photos are Large size boxes from early in the season (Nov to Jan). From Feb onward, fewer items are included because certain items such do not keep for longer or else are in shorter supply and run out, so carrots, beets, potatoes, onions and garlic begin to predominate. Note also that in spring, new supplies of spinach and kale grow and asparagus arrives!
Winter Box Overview
**Starts in November (9-Nov-17 for this season)
**Ends a bit before summer box starts (usually after about 15 bi-weekly boxes, probably last box 24-May-18 this year)
**Sign-up usually between Sep and November (late and mid-season signups are often accommodated)
**Delivery every 2nd week on Thursday
between Noon and 6 (usually all delivered between noon and 3pm).
**Large box 2017 estimated total is $450
**Small box 2017 estimated total is $350
First Installment is estimated half the total and paid before the 1st box.
2nd (Final) Installment is calculated and invoiced after the last box.
Dresden Farm Pickup is free
Depot Delivery $1/box (increase to $1.25 in 2018)
Home Delivery $4.50/box (increase to $5 in 2018)
Sign up by emailing, as show here ------->
Tell all your friends!
Winter Box Sign-Up
Registering indicates you have reviewed and accept the program details below.
To Register please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org include the following information:
1. Box Size Desired
- Large Box (est. $450)
- Large Box 'No-Potatoes' (est. $360)
- Small Box (est $350)
Small Box 'No-Potatoes' (est. $280)
2. Delivery Option
Farm Pickup (Dresden)
(Wallaceburg, Port Lambton, Chatham or Blenheim)
(within Wallaceburg, Chatham, Dresden or Blenheim)
3. Your Name, Address and Phone#
Local Businesses that serve as depots for our program:
80 William Street South, Chatham 45 Talbot Street West, Blenheim 504 James Street, Wallaceburg
Please review the summer box details on the SUMMER BOX page because program details common between Summer and Winter box are not repeated here.
- The first delivery date for the 2017 winter box to all winter box subscribers will be Thursday 9-November-2017. Planned delivery dates are Thursdays (with no exception this year) starting 9-Nov and every second week from there.
- The last box date will depend on overall storage contents on the farm at the end of the growing season and also on how many subscribers sign up for the winter-box. We usually have 15 winter boxes, with the summer box starting 2 or 3 weeks after the last one. That would make the final box 24-May-18.
- Price increases for 2018 will only affect 2018 produce and 2018 delivery premiums (see below). 2018 produce will be spinach, lettuce, kale, pea tendrils and asparagus harvested in 2018. Storage vegetables from 2017 (roots, squash and cabbage) will not be affected. Our price increase for 2018 is approximately 11% mainly related to Minimum Wage increase, because labour is a significant portion of our costs and it is increasing 23%. Minimum wage increases to $14.00 per hour on Jan 1st (from $11.40 right now).
- As we have for the summer box, we are offering a small box option for smaller households. On the early boxes, the small winter box will be about 2/3's the size of the regular box. Later in the season (March and on) the size will be nearly the same, since by then the regular box is smaller because of a the limited variety available for it.
- The value of the regular boxes is estimated to start at about $35 per box ($24 for small box) down to $20 per box ($18 for small box) in March and beyond when we are delivering only root vegetables from storage, with hopefully some winter and spring greens. Nov to Jan and Feb there are more veggies available for the box, later on only the long-storing things remain to fill the box.
- Contents are expected to include beets, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic and sweet potatoes until the last box. Squash is commonly in the box into Feb. Cabbage and parsnips occasionally until as late as March or April.
- We hope to include Kale and Spinach and now also Baby Lettuce even in January and February this year, because we are keeping it in our hoophouses with additional season extension techniques. Spring should see continuation of greens each box in one or more of these three forms. Asparagus comes in on the last few boxes, hopefully. We will also include some pea tendrils in Feb and later, to provide fresh greens.
- NEW OPTION in 2017: No-potatoes. Can be applied to large or small box, and this option will eliminate all potatoes and sweet potatoes from your box, and lower your final payment by that pricing amount.
- The last box date will depend on overall storage contents on the farm at the end of the growing season and also on how many subscribers sign up for the winter-box.
- Sweet Potatoes will be purchased from Paul Watson in Tupperville. Paul is a certified organic farmer, producer of sweet potatoes in addition to his cash crop rotation. Because of the curing facilities required for sweet potatoes, and also because they are grown organically so nearby, River Bell does not grow sweet potatoes.
- Certified organic potatoes will be purchased from Pfennings Organic, a large organic producer and distributor near Guelph Ontario. Up until a few years ago, they grew potatoes but due to struggles in Ontario with fungal problems, they now purchase potatoes from an organic farm in Manitoba. These are always a hit – very fine tasting potatoes. (http://www.pfenningsorganic.ca/ )
- Delivery premiums will be increased in 2018 (mainly due to minimum wage increase. 2017 rates will be $1.00 per box for depot delivery, $4.50 for home delivery. 2018 rates will be $1.25 and $5.00 per box. Box depot locations are the Dutch Market (Chatham), James St Eatery (Wallaceburg) and The Life By Design Centre (Blenheim). Other depots might be arranged, such as the neighbourhood depots hosted by a home, but winter is challenging because the vegetables must be accessed indoors (or in a garage) so as not to freeze.
- Home delivery – we need to be able to leave the box in a place that will stay at zero or above long enough for you to get it. We deliver in the afternoon (usually between noon and 3pm. A porch room or garage is usually fine even in the cold. One customer has a wooden chest with a blanket on the open porch, and even on minus-20-degree days this has been good enough to keep it from freezing until they are home from work. But an open doorstep will not suffice.
- Neighbourhood depot – taking into account the notes above on home delivery, the neighbourhood depots in use this summer will probably not work for the winter. If you are on a neighbourhood depot (including 6 Oxley), please select home delivery or pick one of the local business depots above.
- Payment: 1st payment due by 5-Nov: Small box $175 and large box $250.00. After you sign up (by emailing us) we will email to you an invoice for the 1st payment amount. Final payment will be invoiced at the time of the last box, minus the first installment already paid in 2017. The final invoice will take into account the actual value of veggies delivered in all winter-boxes and all delivery premiums. The actual value cannot be calculated until all veggies have been delivered and the cooler is empty. Based on previous years and our plans for this year hoop house growing, we project final winter box total costs to be $475 large box and $350 small box (plus delivery premiums).
- If you are interested in subscribing to the winter box, please email confirmation to email@example.com before 5-November-2017 (or use the form above). If you are a new subscriber, please stipulate large or small box, your delivery option, your name, address and phone#.
- If you have questions, please call me at 226-881-1053 or email.